On this day ... 

Ghent in 1967

July 26, 1967


From Brussels. This month is becoming a variety fair.  Let’s break it down.  One week in Paris, my passport lost the 14th of July but fortunately found the next day with the help of  high school friend Rachel.  She is a missionary kid who grew up in Luxembourg and is staying with missionaries, the Gingrichs. She is very nice, but not made for me.  I really appreciate all that I received and learned.  It was really wonderful to spend several days in the presence of a girl.  Next, two days in the company of Willard Roth.  One day to see Brussels, the next to see Ghent where on the sidewalk of a café we spoke of my writing style, my stories, more or less in detail. 

He bought one, “Half-Past Eleven.”  I like Roth, but he is, above everything else, a church administrator and not an artist, even though his ideas are quite liberal.  If I wanted to attach myself to a literary patron, I’d have to find someone else.  Then, the choir (including Rachel) of EMC sang at Brussels.  They did very well.  It was really admirable.

I ended my French lessons with Prof.  Hancisse because the extra work with the PAXboys at Mons kills any time to spend studying.  I’m afraid that David Janzen will pass me in his capacity to speak French.  I still have need to study.  But this month I don’t have the drive.  Two bits of news currently get my attention.  The happenings in the United States--cities burning, almost civil war.  And a condemnation of Congo leader Tshombe by Algeria.  That could delay my visa.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get my teaching assignment

I write Annie about a typical day in Kikwit

My room in the pension at 4 rue du Conseil, Brussels, 1967