On this day ... 

Typical telephone of 1967

18 July 1967

Dear family, 

On Paris TV today I heard pessimistic reports about Congo.  At the moment visas are not being given.  No visa, no go. Then I read the NY Times reports about Newark—twenty-one dead, The Times headline includes:  Negro Sniping Widens.  It reports snipers throughout the city.  It calls it a riot. I feel safer in Europe.  And perhaps Congo isn’t really so dangerous. 

"Merrily we roll along" as my friends in Vietnam snipe daily.

At any rate, I wonder if God is "with" the wealthy or the dirt-poor in all these conflicts.

The lone phone call I made to our 6226 number cost the fantastic sum of $28.50 ($28 in 1967 is worth $263.29 today in 2024). All of 12 minutes.  I’m not kidding!  Did you time it? Thanks for taking turns. I was able to have a few words with all seven of you. 

Love, Glenn,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get my teaching assignment

I write Annie about a typical day in Kikwit

My room in the pension at 4 rue du Conseil, Brussels, 1967