Career move after Africa? I say no to my alma mater

   On This Day

Seven years before I wrote this letter, I was a senior at Lancaster Mennonite School and editor of campus newspaper.  Faculty advisor is Omar Eby, standing. I am seated, left. The invitation to teach came from the Dean.

 March 18, 1969

to Lancaster Mennonite School.  

Dear Bro. Good, 

I was fore-warned of your letter by my sister Loretta.  She's in your German class. She is half hopeful that I accept your offer although she "wouldn't want to be in any of my classes."

I see my vocation as teaching in the broadest sense of the word, be it writing, preaching, or teaching.  Therefore, I plan to do graduate work in theology next year.  Perhaps in a European university. Was it your infectuous love and facility with languages which gives me this desire?  I spent one year in Belgium and France learning French.  Prior, I had thought that the Germanic tongues were my cup of tea.  But my love has gone to the Latins.

I recall you saying to us incredulous teenagers that learning Spanish was just a pleasant summer afternoon pastime.  Well, in fact, it was that for me last year in Kikwit where a Spanish professor traded me Spanish lessons for English lessons.  Espangole will have to wait while I tackle Greek and Hebrew.

Perhaps I can visit you when I return this August, 1969.  Knowing your fondness of languages, I might bring along my African parrot to help you catch flies. All grads remember you cupping your hand while blithely declining Latin verbs and catching flies.

I'm sorry I have to respond in the negative to your request.  LMS remains one of those big, luvvy, warm teddy bears of my pre-adult life.  I want to help in its mission if I ever can.

Respectfully yours, Glenn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I get my teaching assignment

I write Annie about a typical day in Kikwit

My room in the pension at 4 rue du Conseil, Brussels, 1967